The Knottwood Community League are currently seeking an enthusiastic, reliable, confident, and dedicated Assistant Educator/Supervisor for our new Kinder School and Out of School Care program; meant to foster the intellectual and social development of school-age children, from kindergarten to grade six. Kinder School and Out of School Care is available to any student who can be transported to the Knottwood Community Hall Care Centre and is located behind Satoo Elementary School in Mill Woods.
Becoming an Assistant Educator of our program includes various responsibilities noted below, briefly outlined as working with the Lead Educator/Director using activities and instructional methods to motivate children, and assessing the children’s progress. Our goal for the program is to teach children with patience, empathy, care, creativity, respect, and to inspire imagination.
- Working with our Lead Educator/Director, administer a complete year-round education plan associated with literacy and numeracy along with personal, social and emotional skill development;
- A successful candidate will promote a variety of activities and instructional methods (songs, stories, media, structured games, art, outdoor activities, gross and fine motor skill development, imaginative play, etc.) to motivate and inspire children’s abilities in a safe and caring environment;
- Enjoy being/teaching in nature and participating in outdoor or gymnasium activities
- Continually monitor and assess children’s performance to ensure they are becoming proficient with the curriculum, interacting successfully, and promoting cooperation and sharing;
- With the Lead Educator/Director, conduct meetings to discuss the progression of the programs;
- Maintain an open line of communication with the Lead Educator/Director, Parents and/or care providers providing appropriate and timely information;
- Flexible with an ability to work in a team orientated community league environment;
- With the Lead Educator/Director, liaison with Satoo Kindergarten and Grade teachers to balance program delivery and enhance transition of learning;
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of fostering independence in children and excellent play skills, continually treating children in a respectful, responsible and fair manner;
- Adherence to provincial standards and guidelines associated with confidentiality, licensing, and accreditation, teaching standards and safety regulations;
- Aid the Lead Educator/Director in licensing maintenance and in generating accreditation status.
- Proven work experience in a caring, educational environment;
- Creative, modernized and artistic teaching abilities;
- Teach learning through imaginative play;
- Excellent knowledge of child development and up-to-date education methods;
- Methodical, reliable, motivating, respectful, and creative;
- Patience, flexibility and a love for children and their development;
- Strong communication, presentation, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively with Parents and/or care providers;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in early childhood development;
- Able to collaborate and create joint ventures with other educational institutions (Satoo School);
- Attend regular training sessions/conferences.
Child Care Certification, or a combination of relevant licensed/certified experience (Canadian institution);
Fluent in English (writing and communication);
Infant/Child First Aid and CPR;
Current clear Criminal Record Check; including vulnerable sector.
Salary Range: $15.00 – $19.00 per hour
Hours of work: Maternity Leave Position 1 year contract with the potential for renewal
Position: 11:15 am – 6:00pm, Monday – Friday (excluding National/Provincial Holidays) Assets: Flexibility to fill other shifts, hours or positions as they become available in the AM or PM, PD days and Summer Care Days.
Position Start Date: April 23, 2019
Posting Date: January 21,2019
Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidate Found
Job Type: Contract
This competition may be used to fill other vacancies within either the Kinder School or Out of School Care program.