Edmonton’s inaugural Neighbour Day will be held on Saturday, June 20th to celebrate the incredible outpouring of support and generosity that neighbours have demonstrated during 2020.
Edmonton Neighbour Day is a time to celebrate neighbourliness in your neighbourhood by acknowledging those who live around you.
Every year on the third Saturday in June, we encourage citizens to meet neighbours (while appropriate physical distancing), make new friends, have fun and build a foundation for future projects that benefit the entire neighbourhood.
Let’s celebrate Edmonton’s strong community spirit, together.
Here are few (safe and AHS guideline adhering) ideas on how you and your neighbours can celebrate Neighbour Day – Start small. Simple is easiest and often has the best outcomes!
- Share hopeful chalk messages on the sidewalk
- Tidy up your park or natural areas
- Drop off notes/cards at your neighbours’ houses asking them to call you so you can create a block contact list
- Consider connecting with your neighbours virtually. Join the Knottwood Community Facebook Group and chat with your Knottwood neighbours.
- Thank your neighbour in person (while physically distancing) or on social media for being awesome
- Introduce yourself to the new neighbour on your block (maintain a physical distance of 2m)
- Do some organized acts of neighbourliness like mow your neighbours lawn
- Host a morning coffee chat on your front lawn, asking people to bring their own coffee in mugs (maintain a physical distance of 2m)
- Host a block party or picnic – ensure the group is less than 50 people, that you maintain a physical distance of 2m, and you bring your own food and supplies
- Organize a Neighbour Day car parade
- Join Abundant Community Edmonton (firstname.lastname@example.org) to connect more on the block-level
- Make up your own way to celebrate neighbours. We would love to hear about it. Share your stories or pictures using #GetNeighbouring #YegNeighbourDay
If you would like more information on becoming a block connector in Knottwood, please email email@example.com.